Hollywood Productions Feature New Orleans Plantation Country
The attractions and locations of New Orleans Plantation Country are featured in several Hollywood productions premiering this year. Ranging from music videos to feature movies, the 2016 productions join an extensive list of projects shot locally over the last two years including Into the Badlands, NCIS-New Orleans, and the Astronaut Wives Club.
With Django Unchained, 12 Years a Slave, and True Detective filmed throughout the area, New Orleans Plantation Country is no stranger to high-profile productions and A-List actors having several features airing in 2015 alone. This year's productions include:
- Underground - Currently airing on WGN, Underground centers on a group of characters enslaved to a Southern plantation and aided by abolitionists as they seek their freedom. Felicite Plantation was used as a primary location receiving a historically accurate renovation from the production. Underground debuted in April 2016 and stars Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Aldis Hodge, and Christopher Meloni.
- Roots (Remake) - Based on the Alex Haley book of the same name, Roots is a remake of the popular 1970's mini-series. Evergreen, St. Joseph, and Felicite Plantations are all featured locations in the large production. Slave cabins, an outdoor kitchen, barns, and other set pieces were added to the plantations to enhcnace the scenes.
- Free State of Jones - Set during the Civil War, Free State of Jones is based on the true story of Southern farmers and local slaves rebelling against the Confederacy after the secession of Mississippi. Several areas of Evergreen Plantation were used for the feature including the main house and slave quarters. Free State stars Academy Award Winner Matthew McConaughey, Keri Russel, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw.
- Quarry - Based on a novel, the upcoming Cinemax Series follows a Marine struggling with his return to civilian life after the Vietnam War. The slave quarters of Evergreen Plantation were once again used for filming. Set to premiere in 2016, Quarry stars Logan-Marshall Green and Jodi Balfour.
- Queen Sugar - Adapted from the Queen Sugar novel written by Louisiana native, Natalie Basile, the TV series Queen Sugar centers on a sugarcane farming African-American family. Both St. Joseph Plantation and St. John Center Soundstage are used as primary filming locations. Area hospitals, homes, schools, and even a jail serve as locations for the Oprah Winfrey/Ava DuVernay produced show, Queen Sugar airs on OWN this September.
- Lemonade - A portion of Beyonce's much talked about tv movie Lemonade, was shot at Destrehan Plantation. The oak trees, kitchen, and slave quarters on the plantation are all featured.
- Mudbound - Based on a book of the same name, Mudbound follows two men as they return home from World War II to work on a farm in rural Mississippi. Felicite Plantation and St. Joseph Plantation were used as central filming locations for the production. Mudbound stars Garrett Hedlund, Carey and Mary J. Blige and is set to premiere in Fall.
About the River Parishes Tourist Commission
Nestled between New Orleans and Baton Rouge along the Mississippi River, the River Parishes of St. Charles, St. James, and St. John the Baptist Parishes unfold along River Road beckoning visitors to fall in love with the charm, beauty and mystique of Southeast Louisiana. The area's rich and vibrant history offers a mixture of culutre, cuisine, and attractions not easily matched by any one location throughout Louisiana. For more information about the River Parishes Tourist Commission call 985-359-2562 or visit www.visitnopc.com.
Jo Banner, MA
New Orleans Plantation Country